2019 Preqin Markets in Focus: Alternative Assets in Europe
At €1.62tn, the European alternative assets market is the second largest in the world, representing an increasingly diverse ecosystem of over 6,300 fund managers and 3,000 institutional investors. Although hedge funds took a knock in 2018 in the face of great geopolitical uncertainty, other alternative asset classes are moving from strength to strength in Europe. High distributions and attractive returns across many private capital strategies are ensuring a consistent flow of capital into the market, and the dynamics of the industry are continuously evolving as a result. Preqin forecasts a near-doubling of global alternatives assets under management over the next four years, and all the evidence suggests that the European market will play a huge part in driving this growth.
Now in its second edition, 2019 Preqin Markets in Focus: Alternative Assets in Europe compiles the latest data from Preqin Pro to bring you the most comprehensive and up-to-the-minute review of the European alternatives market available. The report contains high-quality analysis of the private equity & venture capital, private debt, hedge funds, real estate and real assets industries within Europe, and spotlights each of the top 11 countries individually. Preqin is also proud to present exclusive insights from key industry professionals located throughout Europe, who reveal their thoughts on the market and where it is headed in the future.
Key findings of the report include:
- At a size of €559bn, the European private equity market has grown by 25% since December 2015.
- Infrastructure is currently the third-largest alternatives industry in Europe, having almost doubled in size since 2015.
- Making a recovery from the political turmoil of 2016, over €100bn was deployed in each of the private equity-backed buyout, private equity real estate (PERE) and unlisted infrastructure markets during 2018.
- Demand for European exposure is on the rise, with most investors targeting private equity and real estate in the next 12 months.
- The UK is the largest single hub for alternative assets, but over two-thirds of the industry’s fund managers are based elsewhere.
Download your copy of the report to discover more. All of the data in this report is also available to download in Excel format.